Chicago O’hare through the 1960s
Chicago O’hare opened in 1944 known as Orchard Place and was later known as Orchard Field Airport, and given the IATA airport code ORD. In 1949 is was named O’hare in honor of Edward “Butch” O’Hare, the Navy’s first ace and Medal of Honor recipient of WWII.
The airports modern terminal and rotunda opened in 1962 with official ceremonies that included a formal visit from President John F. Kennedy (Video Below).
Step inside the terminal
Chicago O’Hare with its innovative design pioneered concepts such as concourses that accommodated boutiques and servies, direct access to terminals, jet-bridges, and underground refueling systems.
Official O'Hare Postcards
Classic film and videos