The Way Of The Future
by Phillip Nicholson
From its humble beginnings in 1928, LAX was simply known as Mines Field- when it was nothing more than a dirt strip in the middle of a hayfield. The idea to host the National Air Races is what placed the location firmly on the property map of LA. Since then, Los Angeles International Airport officially given that title in 1930, has grown considerably in size. By 1946 a new terminal to accommodate the airlines switched to four-engine aircraft had replaced the previous two hangars built on receivership of its new name in 1930. By 1958 the mammoth task of building the new Jet Age terminal was well underway and on completion. In June 1961, it was officially dedicated by Vice President Lyndon Johnson.